Celebrate Chinese New Year With a Healthy Recipe
This year, Chinese New Year will occur on Friday, February 12. It’s also known as the Spring Festival or the Lunar New Year, and marks the first day of the New Year in the Chinese calendar.
Although not an official US holiday, the day is often celebrated with parades featuring colorful floats and costumes, lion and dragon dances and fireworks displays. Chinese-American families may exchange gifts, including money wrapped in red and gold paper that are given to children.
One way we can keep working on those health goals we set at the beginning of the year AND do a little celebrating is to try a healthy twist on an old favorite. This recipe will give us Healthy Sesame Chicken in just 20 minutes! To make it even healthier, serve it over brown rice instead of white.
20 Minute Healthy Sesame Chicken
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Calories 270 kcal
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1/2 inch strips or cubes)
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch each salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or sesame
- Cooked white rice for serving
- Small bunch spring onions scallions, chopped
- For the sauce
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sriracha add more for more heat
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil optional
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, sriracha, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds and sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, cornstarch, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat a large pan over high heat for at least 2 minutes. Add oil and chicken to pan. Stir-fry chicken for 5-6 minutes or until it’s golden brown. Add the sauce and allow the sauce to simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce is thick and sticky.
- Remove chicken from pan, sprinkle with chopped spring onions and more sesame seeds if desired. Serve with hot white rice or noodles.
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 913mg | Potassium: 466mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1.3mg