Warm Up With Mexican Inspired Soup
The temperatures are starting to drop, which means lots of us are ready for soup! A delicious one to try is Slow Cooker Creamy Taco Soup. It’s pretty healthy on its own, but you can make it even healthier, without losing any flavor, with just a few tweaks. Check it out!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 serving nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup diced onion – add a little extra for more veggies
- 1 cup diced bell pepper – add a little extra for more veggies
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups chicken broth – get the fat free, low sodium kind
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as RO*TEL®)
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup – use fat free
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles (such as Ortega®)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning – use the lower sodium kind
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 (8 ounce) package Neufchatel cheese, softened – this is like cream cheese but with less fat
Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add onions, bell pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, condensed soup, and chiles.
Combine oil, taco seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, and black pepper in a bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat on all sides. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Cook on Low until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 2 to 3 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165°F (74°C). Remove from the slow cooker and shred.
Add Neufchatel cheese to the slow cooker and stir until melted. Return chicken to the slow cooker and cook until warmed through, 20 to 30 minutes more.
301.6 calories; protein 21.7g 43% DV; carbohydrates 12.2g 4% DV; fat 18.4g 28% DV; cholesterol 73.5mg 25% DV; sodium 2172.4mg 87% DV.
© Copyright 2020 All Recipes. All rights reserved.